- 1½ oz butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into strips – also works well with turkey (about 12ozs)
- 1 very large onion or two smaller ones
- 8 fluid oz unsweetened orange juice (including the juice from the orange)
- Heaped teaspoon of mince garlic
- black pepper
- zest of an orange
- 6 fluid oz water
- 1 good chicken stock cube
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- Melt butter and oil in a pan. Brown chicken strips. Drain, remove
from pan and put in the bottom of a 2pt casserole dish dish.
- Chop onion put in the pan and cook in the remains of the butter
and oil for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Stir in orange juice, zest, water, stock cube, tarragon and fresh black
- Bring to boil and then add to chicken.
- Cover and cook in moderate oven for 1-1¼ hours Gas 4 – 170c
To Thicken Sauce
- 1 tbl. plain flour
- ½ oz sunflower margarine or butter.
- Combine together in a small bowl
- When casserole come out of the oven (very hot) drop little walnut
size pieces into the sauce and quickly stir in.
- Cool slightly, then stir in a couple of tablespoons of double cream, and decorate with fresh
tarragon or parsley.
- Serve immediately