Short Crust Pastry
- 6 oz plain flour
- 1 oz icing sugar
- 3 oz butter or marg
- Slight cold water to mix 2 tbls
- Rub the fat into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix to a stiff paste with cold water.
- Knead quickly to remove cracks
- Roll out and line an 8 inch flan tin.
- Note: if you have a food processor the best way to make pastry is to put all the ingredients in together and whizz until combined, or you can use ready made shortcrust pastry.
- 1lb of Rhubarb cleaned and cut into chunks
- 4 to 6 oz castor sugar
- 1 rounded tablespoon of flour
- 1 beaten egg
- Grated rind of an orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice made up to a 1/4 of a pint of water
- Mix together flour, sugar and beaten egg, orange rind, orange juice and water
- Cook in a double saucepan or in a basin over boiling water till slightly thick (as you would for lemon curd).
- Place the uncooked rhubarb (make a spiral with the pieces) in the pastry case and pour over the orange mixture.
- Bake in a fairly hot oven 220 C or gas 7 for 40 to 50 minutes 10 degrees less for a fan oven