James Paredes migrated down from the other Crown Hotel in Hawes. He is only the fourth Landlord of the Crown in the last 100years.
Owen Metcalfe was the landlord at the crown from when he bought it back in 1979 from Cameron’s brewery, who had themselves owned it since they purchased the pub from Plews Brewery of Leeming Bar in 1924.
Amazingly Owen is only the third licencee at the pub since 1910.
Owen retired from the Crown on April 2nd 2006 and will enjoy his retirement at Bowbridge.
George Halton, known locally as ‘Pills’, was the landlord from 1956 until 1979.
When he left school, George went to work at a chemist’s shop at Leyburn making pills but was apparently sacked for giving customers he didn’t like, laxative pills.
John Dixon Daykin known as Dixie Daykin
Butcher and farmer,a long term regular at the Crown. He lived at Elm Hill.
- WALKER Francis/head/53/M/innkeeper & fish dealer/Yks/Askrigg
- WALKER Elizabeth/wife/49/M/26/asst/Yks/Muker – 2 children, 2 living
- WALKER Francis/son/25/S/asst/Yks/Askrigg
- WALKER Edmund/g.son/1/ Yks/Hawes
- Johnathan Daykin became landlord in 1910. The Daykins were there until 1956
Does anyone have a photograph of Johnathan Daykin that I could copy?
The young boy in the photo aged 13 years is Francis Walker helping his father to dry stone wall in Askrigg. This is the Francis that eventually becomes the landlord at the Crown in 1908.
Edmund Walker grandson of Francis was born at the Crown on 17th May 1909 and went on to become a good friend of Pils Halton. He died in 1988 and his ashes were strewn on Askgigg Football pitch at his request.
Edmunds parents were the first people to have a fish and chip shop up Silver Street, (Pudding Lane).
1901 Census Crown Inn
MILLER Thomas/Head/M/32/innkeeper/own acct/at home/Yks/Redmire
MILLER Margaret/wife/M/29/Durham/Shotley Bridge
MILLER Mary Ellen/dau/1/Yks/Brompton
MILLER John/brother/S/22/stone mason/worker/Yks/Redmire
Askrigg 1893 showing Crown and smithy
1890 Crown Inn
- Calvert William blacksmith/victualler
1891 Census Crown Inn
CALVERT William/Head/M/45/blacksmith, innkeeper/Yks/Gunnerside
CALVERT Margaret A/dau/U/24/Yks/Gunnerside
CALVERT Mary E/dau/U/22/Yks/Gunnerside
Map of the crown in 1854 surrounded by pubs and breweries
The Crown Inn has a proud history, dating back to the late 18th century when a house on this site was converted into an inn known as the Mare Phoenix? Bay Horse?, named after one of John Pratt’s racehorses.
John Pratt on Gimcrack
John Pratt was a wealthy landowner who made his money as a jockey and a breeder of racehorses during the mid-18th century.
He built a large manor house and stables at Askrigg, which are now occupied by the King’s Arms.
The Crown Inn Askrigg was subsequently renamed the Hare and Hounds and by 1840 had become known as the Blacksmith’s Arms, after a blacksmith’s shop which had been built behind the pub, but by 1854 it had been renamed again as the Crown Inn.
Whites Directory Inns and Taverns in Askrigg
- Blacksmiths Arms James Sagar vict and blacksmith
- George Inn William Heseltine
- Kings Arms Adam Hutchinson
- New Inn James Dinsdale – in 1848 James dies aged 84
- Red Lion William Heseltine
When Queen Victoria came to the throne the New Inn was renamed the Queens Arms/Head.
Pigot’s directory of professions and trades
- Hare and Hounds Askrigg James Metcalfe
- George & Dragon, James Blenkiron
- King’s Arms (& excise office) Elizabeth Woodward
- New Inn, James Dinsdale
- Red Lion, William Haseltine
- Miners’ Arms, Jno. Knowles, Woodhall
Inns, Taverns & Public Houses, in Askrigg 1829
- Hare & Hounds, Elizabeth Woodward.
By 1834 Elizabeth Woodward had become licensee of the Kings Arms Askrigg.
- George & Dragon, James Hunter
- King’s Arms, John Whitton
- New Inn, James Dinsdale
- Red Lion, John Thwaites
- Miners’ Arms, John Knowles, Woodhall
Bains Directory Inns, Taverns & Public Houses, in Askrigg 1823
- Bay Horse Elizabeth Halton
- George and Dragon Mathew Thompson
- Kings Arms John Whitton
- New Inn James Dinsdale
- Red Lion John Thwaites (slater)
- Miners Arms Woodhall Francis Sayer Victualler and Butcher
Note the set of photographs and text on the wall dating from 1900 of William Calvert, innkeeper and blacksmith by Marie Hartley See below:
Centre of photograph William Calvert blacksmith and innkeeper