St Andrews Parish Church Aysgarth
Incorporating the parishes of Aysgarth, Bolton-cum-Redmire, Preston-under-Scar, Thornton Rust, Wensley & West Witton
- The Revd. Canon Sue Whitehouse, The Vicarage, Carperby. Tel: 663235
- The Revd. Curate Margaret Rimmer, Swan Bungalow Redmire. Tel: 625031
ALTERnativity – Advent Reflections
- Thurs 1st Christ came to bring hope to the world. Write down something you hope for in the world and stick this where you will see it every day
- Fri 2nd Make room for Christ by clearing the clutter. During the week put things you no longer need, use or wear into a bag
- Sat 3rd Look at your Christmas card list or write one. When you put up your Christmas decorations think of each person in turn
- Sun 4th What do you enjoy most about Christmas? Share it with your friends and ask them what they enjoy most. Isaiah 40:1-11
- Mon 5th Pray for those people who live in a world of greed and are able to overindulge this Christmas
- Tues 6th Every time you have one piece of cake or a sweet too many, put a coin in a jar of `abundance’
- Wed 7th Look at the note you wrote yourself last Thursday and then look for news stories which touch on your hope for the world
- Thurs 8th Look at the things you have put in your bag, are there things that other people could use? Take these to a recycling bin, jumble sale or charity shop
- Fri 9th Think of the people you will miss on Christmas Day. Light a candle and spend a few minutes thinking about them
- Sat 10th Mary and Joseph, the shepherds and the wise men were all called to go on a journey. What was your longest journey? How long did it take to plan? Did you know where you were going? What happened when you got there? Did the experience change you? John 1:19-23
- Sun 11th Pray for people who live in a world of need, who will be struggling to make ends met this Christmas
- Mon 12th How is your jar of abundance doing? This week put a coin into the jar from the change left over each time you buy something
- Tues 13th Breathe on the mirror and draw a heart to remind you every time you look in the mirror that you are loved by God and created to love. John 3:16
- Wed 14th Think about the things you wanted to achieve by the end of the year. Is there something that you didn’t manage to do? Put a date in the diary and arrange to do it early on in the New Year
- Thurs 15th During the day, as you watch or walk past people in the street pray for them in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas rush
- Fri 16th Be aware of the Christmas music you hear all around you. Would it still feel like Christmas if you only heard Christmas music in church? Luke 1: 46-55
- Sat 17th Think of someone who will find Christmas a difficult time – give them a call, visit or e-mail
- Sun 18th Surprise yourself by the abundance in your jar and decide how you want to spend or use it.
- Mon 19th Take time out from the busy-ness of your Christmas preparations. Go for a walk or sit quietly for a few minutes, to give yourself space to be alone with God.
- Tues 20th Look at the Christmas cards you have received. What is the most popular image? Does it surprise you? How many of them are charity cards?
- Wed 21st Ask someone to pray for you today and promise to pray for them.
- Thurs 22nd Christmas seems to be all about getting and spending. See if you can avoid doing both of these today
- Fri 23rd Thank God for Joseph’s part in the Nativity Story. Matthew 1:18-24
- Sat 24th Think of people who give you strong but unassuming support Tomorrow will be all about giving to others.
- Sun 25th Give yourself a treat today.Begin today with a `Thank You’ and end it with an ‘Amen’.
- Mon 26th And the Word became flesh and lived among us John 1:14
- Wed 28th A Father’s only Son John 1:14,18
- Thurs 29th Grace comes to us from the God who is `greater than our hearts’ 1 John 3:20
- Fri 30th Jesus did not let his vision be deflected from the truth John 1:14,16; 18:33-38
- Sat 31st The revelation of God’s love in Jesus continues in our lives in the new year John 1:18