- Dales Countryside Museum
- Oct 11th – Nov 15th
Having toured venues in North and West Yorkshire, gathering information along the way, this exhibition is returning to the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes. It will feature archive material, never seen before, that describes the involvement of the Dales and Yorkshire in the British trade in enslaved Africans; that shows how many Yorkshire people in various capacities were employed in the trade and in the plantation economies which it supported; highlights how financially the area benefited enormously from it; that many Yorkshire abolitionists other than Wilberforce tried to end it and, perhaps most surprising, that from the 17th century onwards a number of Africans settled in the Dales and Yorkshire because of it.
Exhibitions about British Black History are rare and in North Yorkshire, rarer still, so it is an excellent opportunity to discover the links between people and places in the Dales, the Caribbean and Africa. Carnival costume from the Huddersfield and Leeds Carnival will also add a vibrant, colourful and telling element to the exhibition.
30th October 28th November
- 50 years of the Wensleydale Camera Club
March 23rd April 19th
- Hidden Histories of the Dales
- Admission is free to the exhibition.
The exhibition explores the theme of people of various origins passing through or settling in the Dales for thousands of years. The museum would like to hear from anyone in the community willing to share their own stories or research.
Work is ongoing with this project which includes a schools programme and classroom resources being developed. The exhibition will be repeated in October to coincide with Black History Month and will include various planned events. (watch this space!)
April 22nd May 17th
- Michael Revers will be exhibiting paintings with the title,
National Parks and their influence on my work
- An exhibition and sale of original paintings, limited editions and prints by the artist.
- Michaels website gallery is: www.michaelrevers.com
May 20th – June 3rd
- Love is in the air
- Bollywood comes to Yorkshire
- There will be a series of events to coincide with this exhibition
Photographic exhibition celebrating Dales views and images of India, accompanied by South Asian love poetry and song lyrics from famous Bollywood films. There will also be examples of kites made by groups in Keighley and the Dales.
June 5th 26th
- Lensless Landscapes an exhibition of black and white pinhole photography by Steve Gosling.
- A lecture will be given by Steve on the 24th June between 3-5pm
30th June 15th July
- Mark Butler is exhibiting photographs showcasing the glorious scenery of the Yorkshire Dales national Park
21st July 31st August
- Our annual summer interactive exhibition for all the family, this year on the theme of Geology in the Dales
11th September 7th October
- Disappearing World
- Members of The Textile Pool exhibit their work
and will be demonstrating textile crafts each weekend
19th September 7th October
- Friends of the DCM present
- Waterpower in the Dales