Chuck away those plastic pizzas from the supermarket and get out your stotties or bread buns to make these delicious quick and simple pizzas.
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- 6 oz mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- Butter for spreading
- 2 tablespoons of tom puree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-10 oz cheese, a good tasty cheddar would be nice.
- Chop onion and cook in olive oil until transparent.
- Add minced garlic and chopped mushrooms and cook gently until soft.
- Add basil, salt and pepper and tinned tomatoes
- Cook through and then remove from heat.
- Take two stottie cakes or four bread buns and cut in half through the centre.
- Spread each half with butter.
- In a bowl mix together the olive oil and the tomato puree/paste.
- Spread the puree mix all over the base of the bread coming right to the edge.
- Divide the cooked mixture equally between the bread cakes and then cover each of them with grated cheese.
- Finally decorate with slices of tomato.
- Place on a baking tray and place in the oven at 190oC for approximately 10 minutes or until nicely cooked.
- A variation is to put strips of cooked ham or bacon on the top before putting them in the oven.
- Serves a hearty 4